I just got in on Tuesday, and it was a challenge. I nearly missed my flight from L.A. to Taipei because I'm an IDIOT. My layover was like 6 hours, so I got something to eat and was just sort of lounging around, reading a book, etc. My flight was at 1:15am, so it didn't come on the Departures screen until it was officially the "day" of my flight, at midnight. Under "Gate," it said TBT. Because, like I said, I'm an IDIOT, I thought TBT was like TBD or TBA. I didn't really get what the "T" stood for, but whatever. So I kept waiting. And waiting. And waiting. Finally, it was 12:45, and it still said TBT. I finally asked someone, and guess what? TBT is the acronym for the INTERNATIONAL TERMINAL. Which you had to leave the building to find. So I proceeded to sprint over there with a like 50-pound backpack looking like a total crazy. When I finally found the terminal, there were no gates with waiting areas or anything, and there was no one at the China Airlines desk. That's when I really started to lose my shit. Someone finally came out, and, in true Asian fashion, immediately and coldly told me my flight already left without actually checking. She walked away to talk on her walkie-talkie to make sure, and of course I started crying. More of a whimpering, really. A semi-silent, shameful whimpering because what's the theme of this post? I'M. AN. IDIOTTTTT.
She came back and told me, of course, that my flight hadn't actually left, and I could still get on the plane. The most infuriating thing about this experience was that once she took me to security, I was of course trying to rush to get to the gate since the plane was waiting for me, but all the airport security and airline personnel people kept telling me to calm down, slow down. BUT! while they're telling me this, someone keeps coming over the airport intercom asking the "last person for the flight to Taipei" to please quickly proceed to the terminal. What the fuck is that.
So, when I finally got on the flight, I was totally sweaty and gross from running around the L.A. airport like a chicken with its head cut off. The lucky little Taiwanese girls sitting next to me must have been thrilled to be sitting next to the crazy, sweaty girl who was the last one on the flight. I was also freaking out because I'd had my passport in my hand, put my bags in the overhead bin, and then suddenly couldn't find my passport. Yeah... that was when I realized I needed to calm the fuck down, wait for the flight to take off, and I would find my passport once we took off. Because I really didn't need to make myself look any worse.
My next flight to Bangkok wasn't as bad, except the weird, middle-aged Indian guy sitting next to me wouldn't stop talking and at one point, as I was looking around to find something, he inquired as to what I was looking for and whether I "wanted a pill." Creepy as shit. I was so happy once I finally got off my last flight, from Bangkok to Chiang Mai. Immediately after we walked down the hallway into the terminal, I saw a woman with Bangkok Airways waiting with a placard with my name on it. I was like, wow, maybe someone arranged for a ride for me?! Cool! FALSE. She was waiting for me because the airline couldn't find my baggage. Sweetness. This trip couldn't get any better.
I figured I'd be fine since I had an extra outfit in my bag and could just hand wash my things until I got my luggage. Fine. So I go to Baan Thai, the apartment building where I'm staying, and I realize I don't have any money to pay my balance. I knew it would be a good idea to bring cash and exchange it when I got here, but I never did it. BECAUSE I'M AN IDIOTTTT. Of course, initially, my card wouldn't work, so I had to get the woman at the front desk to help me call my bank with her phone. Then I go to the ATM to finally get the money, but it won't let me take out more than like 1,000 baht (about $30) at a time. WTF. I walked up and down my street trying every ATM in sight, and I finally found one that would let me take out 10,000 baht, but that's only about half of what I owe. Luckily, the woman at the counter was really nice and said I could just pay her the rest tomorrow.
So it looked like things weren't really going my way. And yet, I wasn't worried at all. I was totally happy and calm and at peace because I was just so thrilled to be back in my favorite place in the world! (And still am!) But of course, since it's Chiang Mai, everything ended up working out perfectly. I went to a coffee shop to get online for a little bit, and when I came out the woman and the front desk called after me "Moni! Moni!" and told me someone from the airlines called (who, funnily enough, was a good friend of hers) to tell me my bag would be there that night. Sweetness. The next day, I was able to get out all the money I needed at the mall. As it turns out, most of the ATMs don't keep enough money in them to let people take out really large amounts at once (or that's what I've figured). But the ones at the mall that are connected to banks are much better. My AC in my room wasn't working my first night, but by the second night it had been fixed. Issallll good.
The past couple days have been fantastic. I saw two of my closest Chiang Mai friends, and I've been eating at my favorite place, Organic Veggie, every single day. My apartment is so comfortable and in a great location. My boss is super fun, and I'm loving the work already. There's a great vegetarian place around the corner from where I work, so I can pick up lunch there instead of having to buy it the night before to bring in (like I did when I used to live here and worked at a different place that was much more isolated). The weather also isn't nearly as bad as I'd anticipated. I mean, it's hot, don't get me wrong, but it's by no means unbearable, especially when I spend the day at work in AC. I thought it would be unthinkable to bicycle to work like I used to, but now I'm thinking about doing it. I'd still like to rent a motorbike as well; it'll make it easier to meet up with people, and I really should learn since I never did last time. My boss switched gyms but has a few months left on his old membership at the gym right next to my apartment, so he might transfer it over to me, which is awesome. Last night I went to three different parties with Burma people, and I totally feel like I'm back in my old life. It's fantastic!
I'm going to be in Mae Sot for work next week, so I should have some exciting updates then! xxx
No comments:
Post a Comment